I’ve grown up with the internet, so internet safety and security is something that’s been ingrained in me for as long as I can remember. I was raised to have a healthy fear of the internet, and for a long time I thought that was enough.
Then I had kids and realized that the internet is even scarier than I had ever known! Thankfully, it can easily be understood and there are great safety tools we can use to make sure we stay safe, and we keep our kids safe.
– One decision that is important to make before your kids are born, is how much information you are going to share about them online. Will you share their photos? Their full names? If you choose to keep your kids off the internet for the most part, make sure your friends and family members know you are serious about this. Most people don’t ask before posting a photo that includes some one else’s kids. While we’re on that point… remember to ask you friends before you share pictures of their kids. It’s a courtesy that gets forgotten a little bit too frequently in my opinion.
In our family we share LOTS of photos, but it’s rare (if ever) that you’ll see my kid’s names printed. I don’t post them on this blog and rarely use them, even on my personal profile. I want to keep my kid’s digital footprint as light as possible when attached to their names.
– If you choose to share pictures of your kids online be careful what photos you share! Bathtub pictures of babies and toddlers are adorable, but there are a lot of creepy people online, and that’s not the type of thing that you want floating around in the interwebs forever. Somethings are best left unshared!
– Make sure you have location services turned OFF on your phones. I love a good instagram photo, but you want to share pictures in such a way that you aren’t obviously showing everyone your specific location every hour of the day. This is easy to turn off in settings and another layer of security for you and your family.
– Password security is a huge issue for everyone, but this is another one that is compounded when you have a whole family to look after. Not only is it stressful to keep up with all of your passwords, but there also needs to be a way for spouses to access certain shared passwords so you can’t just be re-setting passwords every time you forget them (guilty!). A great solution for this problem is Keeper Security.
Keeper Security helps you generate super secure passwords (no more using predictable/memorable ones) and organize them so you can easily access the ones you need.
With extra security in the Keeper DNA you can rest assured the only one that is able to access your “keeper vault” is you! All of your passwords are stored in a secure private vault that you can access at any time to use or share if you need to grab a password for your spouse or child. You can also store private files here, like your will or family photos that you don’t want to ever lose, all of your information is safe guarded by their best in class security! Only YOU can access and decrypt your information.
It is so easy to add in passwords for every site and app that you frequent and you can even sync your phone and computer so you have all of your information, no matter which device you are on at the time! The interface is intuitive and easy to use so that you can get started right away and simplify your online activities!
It’s so important to protect yourself and add in this extra layer against cyber hacks and cyber theft!
Almost everyone I know has been hacked in some capacity at least once, so if you have escaped it so far, make sure you don’t become the next one, by investing in Keeper Security!
Do you have more rules for internet security for families to share? I’d love to hear them!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Latest posts by Paula (see all)
- Helping kids remember a deceased grandparent - November 18, 2017
- Unforgettable Thanksgiving traditions to start with your family - November 17, 2017
- 100 ways to share kindness with your family - November 17, 2017
- Reindeer donuts - November 15, 2017
- 8 Reasons Child Birth is Easier than Pregnancy - November 12, 2017