One of the activities my 9 year old did during drawing tutorials was creative writing prompts.
My kids had the habit of getting done with their school activities in an hour or two, and then I’d be left with the rest of the day to keep them entertained, while also working.
So obviously, I turned to extra activities like documentaries, drawing tutorials and creative writing prompts.
While the writing wasn’t exactly my kids favorite activity, it turned out after a few prompts they got really good. I was impressed with their creativity and loved seeing the stories they would write, and often illustrate each day.
Here are a few of the best writing prompts that my 9 year old has done. Each one was more entertaining than the last!
Creative Writing Ideas for 9 Year Olds
- Write a story about a dragon who can’t breathe fire.
- Write about a bully who decides to start being kind.
- Imagine aliens came to earth. Write about what they might do next.
- Puppies are going extinct! How will you save them?
- Write 1 page about anything
- Invent something that can help you with school and write about how it works.
- Write a paper from the perspective of your family’s pet. Be sure to include what your pet is doing, thinking & feeling throughout the day.
- Write a story about you (it doesn’t need to be true)
- Write about a new kind of animal you invented
- Write about a new body part you wished you had. What does it look like and what does it do?
- Write an episode of your favorite tv show with the characters from another show you like.
- Write about your adventures as a pirate.
- Write a song about pineapples.
- Write a scary story about chickens.
- Write about a family rule you would change if you were in charge.
I wrote these ideas onto strips, and put them in a big Hufflepuff cauldron (mug). Each day, even in the Summer, the kids pull a prompt and write a page.
It gives me a good 30+ minutes of quiet time, and I love watching their creativity grow!
Do you have any favorite writing prompts? Continue my list with your own ideas in the comments!