The real secret to this tasty creamy lemon chicken is the cooking technique which is a super-easy combo of cooking in lemon juice then finishing with heavy cream. The brightness of the citrus is mellowed by the richness of the cream. The result is a tender and flavorful main dish that’s easy enough for a rushed weeknight and still fancy enough for company.
Don’t be daunted if it looks like there are a lot of ingredients. When you lay them all out, it’s not really that much. Plus, if you’re smack out of fresh parsley, you never buy capers (although you should because they’re a great addition to so many things!), or there’s no canned artichoke hearts in your pantry, you could leave something out and it would still be a delicious skillet chicken!
You could certainly use this recipe/cooking technique with chicken breasts, but we find it’s especially great for boneless skinless chicken thighs.
4 to 5 pieces boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/4 pounds)
Non-stick cooking spray or oil (for skillet)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup heavy cream
Approximately 3/4 can (or bag of frozen) of artichoke hearts
1 TBSP chopped capers
3 TBSP chopped parsley
You need to fix this dish in a skillet that has a lid. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray or drizzle with your favorite cooking oil. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Brown the chicken pieces three-to-five minutes per side.
Pour in 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Sure, fresh-squeezed would be great, but the stuff out of the bottle works just fine. (If you are using fresh lemon, feel free to zest a bit of the rind before you juice it and add the zest to the dish.) Cover and turn heat to low. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
While that’s cooking, chop your parsley, the capers, and drain your artichoke hearts. I use about 3/4 of a can of artichoke hearts. Stash the rest in a glass dish in the fridge to cook another night with buttered green peas. If your artichokes are already in quarters, leave them like that. If they’re whole, go ahead and quarter or slice them.
When the chicken is done, remove from the skillet and set aside. (Cover with foil or an inverted plate to keep warm.) Add the capers and artichoke hearts to the skillet and cook for a couple of minutes to warm through. Raise the heat and add 1/4 cup heavy cream and the chopped parsley. Continue cooking over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauce is slightly reduced.
Return the chicken pieces to the skillet and turn each to coat with sauce. Serve and enjoy!
- 4 to 5 pieces boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Non-stick cooking spray or oil (for skillet)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Approximately 3/4 can of artichoke hearts
- 1 TBSP chopped capers
- 3 TBSP chopped parsley
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray or a drizzle of cooking oil of your choice.
- Season chicken pieces with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Brown both sides of chicken, approximately 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Pour 1/4 cup lemon juice into skillet.
- Cover. Turn heat to low and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- When cooked, remove chicken pieces and cover to keep warm.
- Add capers and artichoke hearts to skillet and cook a couple of minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup heavy cream and chopped parsley.
- Turn heat back up to medium-high and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauce is slightly reduced.
- Return chicken to skillet and turn to coat with sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!