There are few things more pitiful than a sick toddler. It can be sad because they don’t comprehend why the don’t feel well, and often try to play the minute they start to feel decent, and thereby make themselves sick for longer because they don’t rest enough. The last time my son was sick I compiled a list of ideas to entertain a toddler while s/he is sick. These things are restful things, but can be exciting and fun at the same time.
1. Look at pictures – pull out a family album or find pictures and videos of friends on Facebook. Have the child identify different people in each shot. My son loves looking at pictures of people he knows, and is extra impressed if he can watch a video of one of his little friends playing. Usually I get tired of him wanting to watch the same video over and over, but that desire for repetition comes in handy when he’s not feeling well and I’m trying to keep him in bed as long as I can!
2. Interactive songs – There are so many fun kid’s song to sing with motions that can be done without standing up. “head & shoulders”, “the wheels on the bus”, “the itsy bitsy spider” etc. Even fun nursery rhymes
like “this little piggy” are fun and will keep the little one enjoying himself even if he can’t get up to run and play
3. Naming body parts – Sick days can be great learning days! Use the time to help the child learn different parts of his body. Teach him to identify his hands, elbows, feet, knees etc. Even though my son knows all his parts, he still loves being asked and enjoys showing off what he knows!
4. Build a “cave” – sit on the bed with your child and put the blanket over both of your heads. Pretend it is a cave and you are bears. My son loves this game, but since we play it on the bed it doesn’t require much energy and is perfect fun for a sick day!
5. Peek a boo – simple but can be made exciting! Make a different silly face each time you say boo! or teach your child to do the same. Extra points if you make the sick baby giggle ;)
6. Find youtube videos of whatever your child is obsessed with. – My son loves trains right now and this video of real trains driving around has been a huge hit with him. There are so many videos of animals, other children singing/dancing, and vehicles you are sure to find something your tot will enjoy!
What about you? How do you keep your little one from being miserable and bored when sick? Would love more ideas!!!