A lot of Texas days it is just too hot to go outside, so a majority of summer days are spent inside! That’s why I compiled this HUGE list of fun things to do inside on a hot (or rainy) summer day! The best part is, since it is indoor fun, they are perfect for this winter too!!! Have fun!
- Make Personalized Coloring Sheets from Family Photos – This is so easy and fun! My kids love coloring pictures of themselves and the extra detailing on the images can be a great challenge for an older child!
- And then make your own coloring book!
- Learn how to make snow and play with it indoors!
- Make this special gift for grandma
- Build a Skyscraper with pipe cleaners and drinking straws!
- Make your own Paper dolls – Grab a few clothing catalogs (JC Penny’s HUGE catalog works great!), and cut out some of the images to use as custom paper dolls.
- Color these (Free) Star Wars Coloring Sheets or these (Free) Finding Dory Coloring Sheets.
- Do these Puzzle Flash Cards
- Play this Snatch and Match Game
- Build Mix and Match Pool Noodle creatures
- Work on these Cutting Sheets to learn scissor skills.
- Make Your own Flashcards – Fun tutorial to make toddler flash cards using pictures from magazines
- Cardboard box – Will it be a garage? a castle? a tent? a fishing pond? The possibilities are endless! I’m amazed by how many hours my son will play with a big cardboard box! We color our boxes and add lots of stickers to give them a bit of personality.
- Have a board game marathon (here’s a list of some of our favorites)
- Bake cookies!
- Read a story & then act it out together
- Make an artwork display wall – This is how we did ours, Little Man LOVES seeing all his artwork constantly on display.
- Make a bird feeder – This is an easy child/toddler friendly tutorial
- Make some diaper slime to keep the kids playing inside and having fun!
- Homemade Mini Popsicles
- Host a “spy training day” – This looks like a lot of fun for older kids!
- Paper Plate Ring toss – Great way to work on colors and throwing/aiming skills
- Bake some fancy Dr Seuss cupcakes
- Create your own village play mat – I’m definitely going to try this one when my kids are a bit older!
- Race Cars from Toilet Paper Rolls – This website is in hungarian, but the pictures are so awesome I think it’s still do-able! These cars look so neat!
- Send them on a scavenger hunt
- Let them “paint” bread for toast – I know for a fact my Little Man would deem this the coolest activity ever! Such a cute idea.
- Colander + Pipe cleaners = hours of fun – the little holes in the colander are the perfect size to stick pipe cleaners through. Make all kinds of fun designs!
- Finger puppets & mini stage DIY – This tutorial includes instructions for kids of various ages. Super fun!
- Make Finger Print art
- Make your own slime – Gross! but it looks pretty easy and lots of icky fun.
- Create Sculptures with toothpicks and Mini Marshmallows – I know my husband would Love this one ;)
- Paint the bathtub
- Make a robot helmet
- Fish for magnent letters in the bathtub
- Be the weatherman – Super fun (and messy) activity, where kids can learn about weather & have fun in the process!
- Egg carton game – Color sorting and a scavenger hunt all in one. love it!
- Go fishing for Letters – Super cute idea, using a magnetic fishing pole and ABC magnets for some bathtub fishing!
- Make your own play dough
- Do this fun Summer Daisy Hand Print Craft
- Make a big hug card
More Indoor Activities
Looking for more? Check out these favorite indoor activities from our affiliate
Craving outdoor fun? Check out this awesome post from Beauty in the Mess for 15 free or cheap outdoor summer activities!
What are your kids’ favorite indoor activities?
Latest posts by Paula (see all)
- I’m ashamed that I don’t know how to talk about this. - May 31, 2020
- Quiet Time Activities For Preschoolers and Toddlers - May 29, 2020
- When bedtime routines end - May 13, 2020
- Hammers and ice blocks – summer activity for kids - May 9, 2020
- 100 ways to share kindness with your family - April 26, 2020