You know those days where you just feel like you absolutely cannot handle playing trains one more time, or you feel like you’ll scream if you have to eat one more imaginary creation that your little one has “cooked up”? Yeah, me too. Sometimes, you just get tired of playing. Though we might not like to admit it, it’s a common thing for moms and dads to feel fed up with playtime! Obviously we continue to play, because it’s about building memories with the kiddos and spending time with them in a way that makes them feel loved and appreciated. I totally get that, and I love being with my kids, but sometimes, I need another option. I’ve recently discovered though, that you don’t have to play with your kids to be interacting with them. Here are some fresh ways to interact with your kids without playing trains or dollies.
* Have a Dance Party in the Living Room
* Paint something random – We’ve done toilet paper rolls, paper plates, rocks, pine cones… anything out of the ordinary = exciting!
* Send them on a scavenger hunt
* Have a singing competition – Who can sing loudest, highest, lowest, scariest etc.
* Give them 10 minutes to create a masterpiece using only the objects in a specific room of the home – this will give you a good 10 minutes to clear your head ;)
* Tickle them – Watching the kids laugh is always a good reminder of why playtime is so important to begin with.
* Go for a walk – Free entertainment for the kiddos, fresh air, and gives you time to think!
* Pipe cleaners – Such simple objects but they are hours of fun for any age! You could give them a list of different things to create with them, or for a younger child, bring out the collander and let them run the pipes through the little holes.
* Rearange the furniture or toys – I will never understand it, but my son could have ignored certain toys for days and the moment I try to move them to another location in the home, he just HAS to play with them in the new room!
* Let them wash windows – I’m not sure what is so fun about this chore, but kids usually love it! Give them a spray bottle of water & a roll of paper towels and they will be good to go!
*Bake cookies together
*Give them stickers – Again, not sure what the appeal is for kids and stickers, but they provide so much fun for kiddos of any age. My 2 year old loves sticking them all to one paper, and then pulling them up to stick again!
*Throw them in the tub! – When I need to kill an hour or so I usually give the boy an extra bath. He loves to play in the tub, and the water entertains him (so I don’t have to)
Looking for more super-fun indoor playtime idea? Check out the master list of fun indoor playtime ideas for kids!
What about you? What do you do when you are absolutely sick of playing with your kiddos?