Husband and wife date nights are some of the best nights of the month, but there is another type of “date night” that is worth mentioning – kid date night ideas!
These are special times to show them that you care about them and to give you that special time to connect with your kids one on one. Here are Some ideas to help you do just that!
- Bowling – I was surprised how young my kids started to enjoy bowling. The idea of getting to throw a heavy ball at objects to try to knock them down is appealing to all ages!
- Roller skating rink – A work out and a way to connect with your little one! Two at once!
- Fast Food / Play area – It doesn’t have to be fancy, take your little one out to his or her favorite (fast food) restaurant, eat together and then let them have fun in the play area.
- Park – Tight budget? No worries, just go to the playground and spend time with just ONE of your kids. Watching everything they do and helping them on the monkey bars for the hundredth time. Exhausting? Maybe, but totally worth it for the bonding and the giggles that are sure to come from it!
- Fancy restaurant – If you have older kiddos, take them out to a fancier restaurant. Let them get all dressed up, while you do the same. They will feel so special getting to eat with just mom or dad at a fancy “grown up” restaurant.
- Zoo – Zoo dates can be super fun. While this one wouldn’t be done in the evening, you can have a great time running around the zoo together seeing who can find the neatest animals!
- Sleepover in the living room – Who says you have to go out? Take one (or all) of the kids on a special sleepover in the living room. Movie night or game night, the possibilities are endless, but the memories of doing something special that is not the norm will last a long time!
- Scavenger hunt – If you have more than one kid, break up into teams, mom and half the kids on one team while dad and the other kids form the second. One team creates a scavenger hunt while the other has to work their way through it! Set a time limit and the losing team has to make dinner for the winners!
- Go on vacation – okay, not a real vacation but a fake one! This is one of our favorite ideas for husband/wife dates and it would work great with the kids as well! (all the details here).
- Go to a play – Do a little research and see if you can find a local troupe putting on a play or a local dance company holding a performance. It’s a great way to introduce your child to the arts, while also spending some quality time with them doing something unique.
Spending that one on one time with each kiddo is so special to them, one simple night to let them know that they are uniquely special to mom and dad. If you have two kids, it would be easy to swap “date nights” every other month, with mommy one month and daddy the next, but if you have more than two, you may have to get a bit more creative.
When was the last time you had intentional one-on-one time with each of your kids? How can you plan to do that more next month? Share your ideas in the comments!
I love these ideas. I dont have children and probably won’t for a few years at least as I’m only 18 and single lol, but when I have children I plan on using a few of these genius ideas. I want my kids to have fun each and everyday and for me to be a good mother. All y’all mothers out there who spend special time and have fun with their children are so inspirational, keep up the amazing work!!
This may sound cheesy but my son and I go to a cafe and share a croissant! My heart explodes every time he decides to forgo the last piece so mamma can have it.
The Little Tourist says
This is awesome, awesome, awesome! Thank you for sharing these great ideas with us fellow parents ;)
Hannah Flack says
There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.
Ray A. says
I loved your article. keep it up.
Hey everyone, I found a unique website that offers personalized portraits for babies and children. They saved us when we missed our photoshoot due to the pandemic. Try them out!
Here’s the link: https://loveandbub.com/