I might as well be honest. I don’t enjoy nursing my babies. I nursed my son until he was a year old, and I’m hoping to make it that long with my daughter, but that doesn’t mean I like it! I know it’s supposed to be this beautiful bonding expreience between me and my kiddos, but I just don’t feel that when I nurse. I feel annoyed, and bored I know so many people that just adore nursing their children. They cherish it, they are saddened when their babies decide to wean, while I keep a mental countdown going until I’m done nursing for good (just under 7 more months in case you are wondering). It’s not painful, I can even sleep through it, we really have no problems with it. I just don’t enjoy it.
Why do I hate (and love) breastfeeding? Let me break it down for you:
What I hate:
1. It’s all on me – No one else can do it! I don’t/can’t pump, so anytime the baby needs food it’s my responsibility. Even if hubby is watching the kids so I can nap or write or have a minute to myself, as soon as the baby starts crying for food he has to get me because I’m the only one that can do it.
2. All the touching – At time I just want to push both kids off me and say “STOP TOUCHING ME!!!”. All day I’m holding them, or they are climbing on me, sitting in my lap, or being nursed. It can get a bit overwhelming at times, especially when there is no break from it. ever. ;)
3. Feeling like I’m starving – the first few months I’m usually okay, but somewhere around month #5 I start feeling like I can’t get enough food. I can eat a huge dinner and be hungry for another full meal 30 minutes later. Since I hate cooking and/or preparing food this is extra annoying.
4. Lack of sleep – I’ve heard that babies who take formula often start sleeping through the night before breastfed babies because it takes longer for a baby to digest formula than it would take them to digest breastmilk. I’m not sure if this is true, but I’m sure ready to stop getting up 3+ times a night to nurse my 5 month old baby girl ;)
What I love:
1. The smiles – the little milky grins from baby right after she’s had her fill.
2. It’s free – The price really can’t be beat. Formula is SO expensive :/
3. The health benefits – no denying there are plenty of health benefits for mom and baby. And that’s one of the main reasons I do it. (that and the cost!)
4. Portability – I love not needing to worry about packing bottles, or milk, distilled water etc. All I need is myself, the baby and my nursing cover and I’m good to go. Super easy.
So there’s my confession. I don’t love nursing. I actually kinda hate it. But I do it anyway to save money mainly, and the health benefits are pretty good too. I could never judge a mama who chooses to do formula or can’t nurse. Even though I hate doing it, I am thankful that I am able to nurse my kiddos and that both of them figured it out immediately. I dont’ know if I’d be able to make it if we had any big issues :P
What about you? formula or breastmilk? In your opinion what are the pros/cons of your choice? No fighting or arguing please! Just friendly conversation and sharing of stories and experiences. We are all imperfect mamas and we all make the choices we feel are best for our families. And those choices don’t always look the same as the ones our friends make. <3
If you are nursing, check out these awesome deals from an affiliate of mine! These are affiliate links, and I will get rewarded if you choose to get a FREE nursing cover or FREE nursing pillow! You can’t beat free!!!
Latest posts by Paula (see all)
- What the man in the library taught me about parenting - February 22, 2019
- How to TRIPLE your blog’s pageviews & make more money in 6 months or less - February 20, 2019
- The horrible drawback to giving your child a lovey - February 19, 2019
- Best savings tips from other parents - February 18, 2019
- How we put an end to the “potty talk” in our house - February 15, 2019