As Summer stretches before us, so many people are gearing up for a fun road trip! While my family is staying close to home this Summer, we have been trekking across Houston quite a bit. We’ve spent an hour or two in the car too many times to count, and it’s only a few weeks into Summer!
If you are traveling through states, countries or even just around your own city, these road trip ideas can help you make the most of that car time and keep your kids busy and laughing in the back seat.
1. Toy tricks – Okay, I’ll admit it, I get a little sneaky with this one. For a week or two leading up to a big trip, I start hiding some of my kid’s favorite toys. They disappear one by one and I stash them in a special bag, only to be revealed during our car ride. A quick trip by a dollar store can help fill in the gaps so there are plenty of new and like-new toys to be played with in the car.
2. Strategic Stops – Don’t just stop at any gas station, make each stop a bit more fun by scoping out exits with pet stores. Kids will get to walk around a bit and look at cute animals (bonus points if you get to touch a few). Even just 10 minutes in a pet store can make a world of difference in patience levels for kids of any age.
3. Snacks – There are few things as important on a road trip as snacks. Here’s the thing, yes, you’ll be stopping for gas and grabbing things along the way, but it’s essential to have a snack bag for when one of the kids gets the munchies between gas stops. We love using the new 2-pack OREOs. They are small enough to be tucked into your purse and pulled out when you just need a bit more quiet from the back seat. OR for your to munch on as soon as the kids are asleep. No judgement.
What are your must-haves for a road trip? Have you tried the OREO 2-ct packs yet? So awesome.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Latest posts by Paula (see all)
- Powerful ways to help your child beat their first day of school worries - July 19, 2019
- Fun Summer Activities for Kids at Willie’s Grill & Ice House - July 18, 2019
- 100 Ways Your Kids Will Actually Eat Vegetables - July 3, 2019
- 5 Gift Ideas for the New Big Brother or New Big Sister - July 1, 2019
- Hammers and ice blocks – summer activity for kids - June 28, 2019