There are many things that are pretty much impossible to do with one hand. Interestingly enough, that list changes after you have a baby. And the the list gets shorter with each subsequent child.
My husband calls them “mom skills” but to me, it’s just survival skills.
Here is my top ten things that are impossible to do with 1 hand (until you have a baby)
1. Make a PB&J sandwich – This is one that happened ALL the time. Brother couldn’t wait another minute for a sandwich, and sis was screaming for milk. Somehow, you just learn to make it happen.
2. Tear a paper towel off the roll – This seems like such a simple task until you attempt it while holding a baby. I think this is by far the most difficult thing on the list.
3. “Heal” ouchies – I’ve found myself cuddling/kissing my son’s ouchies while feeding the baby. Craziness
4. Clean up toys/get them off shelves – Either picking them up or putting them away, it really never ends when you have a toddler and an infant! Feeding the baby? Well according to my son that is no reason to not get his toys down RIGHT NOW.
5. Preparing plates of food – Going through a buffet style serving line seems to be something that would require 2 hands, one hand to hold the plate and one to serve food onto it. But, in fact, this can be accomplished while holding an infant. Though I’ve never fed a baby in the buffet line, holding one is sufficiently difficult.
6. Write a blog post – You know the moment, you finally rock the baby to sleep, but you are scared if you move her to her bed she’ll just wake up again… So you write one-handed.
7. Use the restroom – I hesitate to put this one, but some one please tell me you’ve been there too right? with a 1 year old on your lap? anyone???
8. Get dressed/undressed – obviously you can’t change an entire outfit while holding a baby…or can you?
9. Carry all the groceries inside – Every time I would go to the grocery store when my daughter was a baby I’d wonder to myself WHY I didn’t choose to go at a time when my husband would be home to help me haul the 2 kids and the bags of groceries up 2 flights of stairs to our apartment. But somehow it happened.
10. Push a shopping cart – Those shopping carts don’t look like they’d be very challenging to push… until you try pushing them with a baby on your hip while singing “the wheels on the bus” for your toddler.
What about you? What’s the craziest thing you’ve done while holding or nursing a baby? I’d love to hear your list!
If your baby has started biting while breastfeeding see our gentle way to make the biting stop!
Learn how to make a DIY nursing bra by using one of your favorite regular bras and converting it!
Lastly, check out our lactation smoothie recipe, which just might become your favorite thing to drink while breastfeeding!
Latest posts by Paula (see all)
- How to make learning fun this Summer for kids of ALL ages! - May 21, 2018
- How to be ready for baby’s first flight - May 17, 2018
- How to save money at Disneyland - May 15, 2018
- What taking out the trash taught me about being a strong mom - May 10, 2018
- The never have I ever game for parents and toddlers (meme) - May 10, 2018