Now that we have 2 babies it has become more difficult for hubby and I to have a night out together. Hubby’s wonderful mommy will come watch both kids at our house when we need a night out, but it’s just so much harder leaving two kids at home, especially while baby girl is so young. Date night and alone time takes so much more effort and planning than it did when we were just newlyweds without kiddos. It can be done though! When we can’t have a night out, we try to be sure we have some intentional hubby/wifey time at least once a week. Often times that means we do a date night in.
Hubby and I enjoy watching movies and tv shows together, but we try to have at least one night a week of 1 on 1 time without the TV. I could watch a movie with or without my hubby and still not be any closer to him, or have made any special memories with him. We often watch a show or a movie together when we don’t have energy to do anything else, and that is super fun! BUT for us, it does not replace doing more personal things like talking, or playing games, getting to know each other more. It is hard for us to get out of the house, so that is why I made this list of creative things to do strengthen your relationship at home, without flipping on the television. *This post contains affiliate links*
This is my list of 10 fun at – home dates to do with your spouse
1. Go on a fake vacation – This is something I came up with last summer because we didn’t have the $ to go on a vacation. hubby was skeptical about trying this, but we both ended up loving it. In short, choose a destination and then plan a fabulous trip together as if you were going there. It’s perfect because you can plan a super exotic trip and imagine doing things that you would not usually try because of fears, finances or time constraints.
2. Have a sleepover in your living room – Simple and sweet. Sometimes a change of scenery is all that’s needed ! Invite your hubby on a sleepover/campout in your living room! It’s something fun and silly to do together, hubby and I did this before I got pregnant with the princess and we both had a lot of fun. This idea came from The Dating Divas – a fabulous site of date night ideas for married couples! Be sure to check them out if you haven’t already!!!
3. Getting to know your spouse questionaire – I loved this idea from Kathryn. She compiled an awesome list of questions to ask your spouse, these are some great conversation starters and it is such a fun way to get to know your spouse and spark some interesting discussions!
4. Game night – This one is our favorite! Hubby and I usually have at least one game night a week, and it so much fun. We are both pretty competitive but most of all we enjoy the time together. If you are looking for great 2 player games check out the Amazon page I made, that I constantly update with our latest finds!
5. A fancy dinner at home – Who’s to say you can’t get all dressed up even if you have no where to go? Put on your nicest dress & highest heels and have a candlelit dinner in your dining room (even if the dinner is frozen pizza). It’s the experience and the togetherness that matter, far more than the location!
6. Read a book – Choose a fun novel to read together, or even an awesome book on marriage or parenting. Take turns reading chapters to one another and discussing what you read.
7. Go through your wedding photo album or watch your wedding video together – It can be so romantic to go through old memories and cherish the memories together. I love looking through old pictures with my hubby and laugh as we re-tell our favorite moments to one another. One of the easiest, but most romantic things to do.
8. Drink coffee/hot chocolate on the porch – We don’t have a porch, but I do love drinking hot chocolate on our apartment’s balcony when the weather is nice. It’s beautiful outside and something about the outdoors always sparks deep conversations! I love that being outside makes me feel like we’re “away” from home, but we’re still close enough to hear the baby fuss and I’m able to walk right in a nurse her if need be.
9. Write your love story – This is one that I’m hoping to try soon! Talk it out and write it together, or take turns writing sentences and see how the story ends up! I can see hubby and I laughing for hours as we try to out do each other with clever quips as we take turns telling our story.
10. Go to bed – there’s nothing like turning in early chatting (etc) with the lights off… ;)
I love these dates because they are perfect for low budget weeks, and for weeks when you don’t have time/energy/a babysitter to be able go out. Whatever is keeping you from having a date night and intentional time with your spouse, can probably solved by having a fun, intentional date night IN <3
Have you ever done a date night in? I‘d love to hear your ideas!!!
For even more date night ideas, check out this amazing book by my friend Alida! She’s compiled 175 of the best date night ideas! These are great for parents and non-parents alike! I love the smash book in the back of it, such a neat way to save memories!