Now that we have 2 babies it has become more difficult for my husband and I to have a night out together. Sometimes his mom will come watch both kids at our house when we need a night out, but it’s just so much harder leaving two kids at home, especially while they are young. Date night and alone time takes so much more effort and planning than it did when we were just newlyweds without kiddos. It can be done though! When we can’t have a night out, we try to be sure we make time to spend together, without our phone or the tv. Usually that means we do a date night in.
This post contains affiliate links
1. Go on a fake vacation – This is something I came up with last summer because we didn’t have the $ to go on a vacation. hubby was skeptical about trying this, but we both ended up loving it. In short, choose a destination and then plan a fabulous trip together as if you were going there. It’s perfect because you can plan a super exotic trip and imagine doing things that you would not usually try because of fears, finances or time constraints.
2. Have a sleepover in your living room – Simple and sweet. Sometimes a change of scenery is all that’s needed ! Invite your hubby on a sleepover/campout in your living room! It’s something fun and silly to do together, hubby and I did this before I got pregnant with the princess and we both had a lot of fun.
3. Deeper Conversations – I love these conversation starter cards! Sometimes you’ll pull an “easy” question and find yourselves sharing thoughts for a few minutes but other times you might have to force yourselves to stop because the conversations can be so long and wonderful!
4. Game night – This one is our favorite! My husband and I usually have at least one game night a week, and it so much fun. We are both pretty competitive but most of all we enjoy the time together. If you are looking for great 2 player games, these are a few of our favorites:
5. Cook dinner together – While cooking on your own can get old really fast, it can be fun to experiment with new recipes in the kitchen with your spouse!
When you’re done cooking, you might as well get all dressed up for your fancy at-home date. Put on your nicest dress & highest heels and have a candlelit dinner in your dining room. It’s the experience and the togetherness that matter, far more than the location!
6. Read a book – Choose a fun novel to read together, or even an awesome book on marriage or parenting. Take turns reading chapters to one another and discussing what you read.
7. Go through your wedding photo album or watch your wedding video together – It can be so romantic to go through old memories and cherish the memories together. I love looking through old pictures with my hubby and laugh as we re-tell our favorite moments to one another. One of the easiest, but most romantic things to do.
8. Drink coffee/hot chocolate on the porch – We don’t have a porch, but I do love drinking hot chocolate on our apartment’s balcony when the weather is nice. It’s beautiful outside and something about the outdoors always sparks deep conversations! I love that being outside makes me feel like we’re “away” from home, but we’re still close enough to hear the baby fuss and I’m able to walk right in a nurse her if need be.
9. Write your love story – Talk it out and write it together, or take turns writing sentences and see how the story ends up! Use the “love story for baby” book to turn your love story into a lovely keepsake for your little one. This would make the PERFECT gift when baby grows up!
10. Grab something from the date box – This is a great idea if you are stuck in a date-night rut. Pull out a pog and see what it says and do that for your date night! They have SO many great ideas already printed on them, no creativity required, you just get to have the fun!
I love these dates because they are perfect for low budget weeks, and for weeks when you don’t have time/energy/a babysitter to be able go out. Whatever is keeping you from having a date night and intentional time with your spouse, can probably solved by having a fun, intentional date night IN <3
Have you ever done a date night in? I‘d love to hear your ideas!!!
Latest posts by Paula (see all)
- Potty Training Reward Method (Free Chart) - January 14, 2019
- Free Personalized Valentine’s Day Cards - January 9, 2019
- The one hospital you’ll ever need – peace of mind plus quality care - January 7, 2019
- 10 Money saving tips - January 4, 2019
- 25+ Instant Pot Soup Recipes - December 31, 2018