I currently have two kids in cloth diapers. I had wondered how much I would still enjoy cloth diapering after my second baby was born, but I am truly still enjoying it! here are 10 reasons why! *This post contains an amazon affiliate link. Meaning if you make a purchase through my link I may get a percentage of the sale, at no additional cost to you.
1. Cost – Plain and simple, I love not having to purchase diapers! It costs a bit of water/energy to do the extra laundry, but it is pennies compared to purchasing disposable diapers. From what I have seen you save over $1,500 per kid if you use cloth diapers (depending on the brand of disposables you would have purchased etc.)
2. Never run out – Have you ever had that moment, when the baby is crying at 3am and you don’t have ANY diapers in the house? It’s an awful feeling, and one that doesn’t really happen with cloth diapers, there are always diapers in the house!
3. Sharing – Because we use “one size” diapers from cotton babies (You can also buy them from amazon) my 2 year old and my 2 month old can wear the same diapers. I don’t carry a diaper bag for my son anymore, because he rarely needs changed while we’re out, but in case of emergency I can convert on of the baby’s diapers into his size in a matter of seconds. Super convenient!
4. Ease – It’s not easier for every one, and I wouldn’t recommend it to some one who’s not a SAHM but it is way easier for me to wash diapers every other day than it would be to run dirties down to the dumpster from our 3rd story apartment.
5. The lack of blow-outs – Nobody likes a diaper blow out. yuck! I’m pretty sure I have only experienced 2 or 3 blow outs in my almost 2 years of cloth diapering. When I had my boy in disposables it was closer to 1 or 2 a day.
6. Less diaper rash – the kiddos typically get fewer rashes when they are in cloth diapers. (cloth seems way more comfy too!) Rashes are more annoying when they happen because you can’t use rash cream. I’ve had to switch to disposables for a week or two when my son got a really bad rash so I could treat him, but for the most part, rashes happen less frequently with cloth!
7. The cuteness – I’m a huge fan of the fluffy cuteness of cloth diapers. I just love it. they are big diapers and I just think it looks adorable for a little baby to be in a big ‘ol cloth diaper.
8. Photo opportunity – I’ve said it before, but this really is one of my favorite reasons to cloth diaper. I, like many other moms, take a picture every month to track my baby’s growth. When cloth diapering, I can take the photo in the same colorful diaper every single month. Probably sounds silly, but it is just really cool to me!
9. The color! – I’m a huge fan of color. I love getting to choose between turquoise, pink, blue, green and even patterned diapers when I change my kiddos instead of just white.
10. No trash – It’s nice to not be throwing them away. I have no problem with any one using disposable diapers, I know cloth is not for every one, but I do like the fact that I’m not tossing mine in a landfill to decompose over the next couple dozen years.
I also wanted to take the time to tell you about Bluum, a subscription box I’ve recently learned about for moms and babies! They have cloth diapers and cloth diaper gear, delivered straight to your doorstep! Try bluum today!
Any one else out there use cloth? or considering it? I’d love to honestly answer any questions you might have. Cloth definitely has its down side too (I may post about them soon), but for me personally, there are definitely more pros than there are cons.
For more info, see this Q & A post about cloth diapering.
OR if you are looking for more ways to save on baby – check out these freebies! You just have to pay shipping.
You can get two FREE belly button bands or 1 FREE Belly button body. $40 value!!! We all know bellies and backs could use all the extra support they can get during pregnancy, so this is a great (and affordable) place to start! Click the link below and use the code: BELLY1 at check out to get your freebie!
Check out these adorable leg warmers! I love putting leg warmers on both of my babies. they go off an on so easily and make diaper changing much easier than dealing with dozens of snaps! You can get 5 pairs for free using the code BEAUTY1 at Baby Leggings.com
First off we have a FREE baby sling! After I had my 2nd baby my baby carrier went with me everywhere! Now you can get this little sling for free! Isn’t it cute? There are a variety of colors and patterns to choose from (though I really love this black & white one in the picture). Use my coupon code: BEAUTY1 This code does not expire, so you can share it with your friends and use it anytime you want!
Next up here’s a FREE Carseat cover! I honestly never used one of these, but I can see how it would be really handy, especially if you live somewhere with really cold winters! Again, there are plenty of color and pattern choices, so you can find one that matches your baby’s carseat! Use coupon code: BEAUTY1 This code does not expire, so you can share it with your friends and use it anytime you want!
Free Nursing Cover! We all know how much I hate nursing ;) but I still did it, and always used a cover when I was not at home. You can order a free cover by using my code below. (lots of color and pattern choices here too!) Use coupon code: BEAUTY1 This code does not expire, so you can share it with your friends and use it anytime you want!
Last, we have a Free nursing pillow. These are always nice to help prop up baby while nursing. My kids still sleep with the nursing pillows I used when they were babies. We used boppy brand because that’s what I got at my baby shower, but I would definitely order one of these if I didn’t already have mine! Use coupon code: BEAUTY1 This code does not expire, so you can share it with your friends and use it anytime you want!