Every year I make some goals for myself. Some are big, some are small and some are the same every year! I share them here each year and check up on them every 6 months to see how they’re coming. Below, are the goals I made at the beginning of last year, along with some comments about my success and failures in meeting them.
1. To Listen More – “listen” was my word for 2013, and my goal was to pay more attention to my family, with my ears and eyes! To not be distracted by my phone or book, or other things when my kids or my husband are trying to talk to me. Although, there are always times that I have to remind myself to do this, I think it was definitely a success this year. I’ve made it more of a habit to stop whatever I’m doing and really listen when my family is telling me something, and it has made a huge difference in our home!
2. To be intentionally quiet and still – I’m still pretty bad at being quiet. I don’t like to be still, so this is a constant struggle, but I definitely tried!
3. Keep our house cleaner – I feel like this one was definitely a success. We don’t have a spotless home by any means, but I have a better system now for picking up and cleaning things, so that helps, as long as my husband’s schedule isn’t wonky. When he works late there’s not as much I can do because of the kids’ sleeping schedules, but oh well! One day we will have a house and it won’t be as big of an issue because I will be able to clean after the kids are in bed!
4. To maintain a healthy body weight – Ugh, I wish I could say this was a success, but it wasn’t my weight has been wonky this year and I still don’t have it under control where I’m maintaining a healthy weight. It’s been a bit better now that I’m not breastfeeding, but not great. This one definitely will be on my list again for 2014.
5. To eat (and cook) better – This is another perpetual challenge for me, and while we’ve made good strides this year, it will definitely be something I work on for several years to come. Baby steps!
6. To become a paid blogger/writer – Yay!!! This one is definitely a success! I got my first ever check for writing something, back in July, and began earning money on my blog shortly thereafter. I feel like I’m officially a work-at-home mom now, and it’s pretty awesome. Getting paid for something I love to do!!!
7. To be less stressed- hah! This one made me chuckle a bit. Yes, I suppose, compared to last year I am less stressed, but I’m still entirely too anxious as a lifestyle and I need to continue working on it.
8. To be a better wife – This is a goal every year, I never want to stop working on this!
9 To be a better mama – Could also be phrased “to not lose my mind when I have 2 toddlers on my hands later this year.” . . . I think I did pretty well. My mind still seems to be mostly intact.
10. To be happy – Maybe it sounds silly, but it’s a goal and a lifestyle choice for me. Choosing to trust God, be less stressed, listen and love more. I’m definitely happier this year and I’m hoping to find more joy and more trust in Christ in the years to come!
How did you do on your resolutions or goals? Remember to have grace with yourself if you didn’t get them all, you have another year of growth ahead!
Dima Al Mahsiri says
There are a lot of things to talk about when it comes to what I have accomplished this year. But , there still, lots of things to do, too!
I am happy that I succeeded in organizing my life after I decided to start blogging. It has been a year now, and thank God, I managed to be a mum for 4 kids ( including a twins ! ) a good wife, and a blogger. Though I am still a newbie, but I feel good about what I did this year. I am hoping that one day I can call myself a work-at-home mom :)
Congratulations to you :)
Jade Reed says
I can’t help but think you’ve set yourself awfully difficult goals, I do exactly the same thing and find it makes everything that much more overwhelming. Congratulations on all your success this year, sounds like you’ve achieved some really fantastic things. Especially becoming a paid writer! That’s everyone’s dream, especially those who are writing blogs. I’m in awe of you for that! xx