I know a lot of people are trying to do the same, so I thought I would share some tips on how to cut back on sugar that I have discovered along the way. I’m not eliminating sugar from my diet (I still love desserts) I’m just trying to enjoy my sweets in moderation more so than I did while preggo.
1. Eat fruit first –When a craving hits me I don’t try to tell myself ‘no’. I’ve found that when I do that I’m miserable all day, and I usually end up caving after a few hours anyway. Instead I tell myself I can only eat (whatever I’m craving) AFTER I eat a piece of fruit. The sneaky thing is, most of the time the sweetness of the fruit kills the craving, I will still want a cookie but I won’t be craving it, so I can much more easily resist!
2. Drink water – I have also been craving sodas lately. I force myself to chug a full glass of water then I won’t want the soda, so I make myself do that first. Drinking water before eating a sugary snack can also make you feel more full, and may take away the desire for the naughty food too.
3. Control what you buy – If it is not in the house, you can’t eat it, so remember to use self control when shopping! For me, it’s all about moderation so I allow one dessert purchase per shopping trip, and I don’t allow myself to buy anything else until the first thing is gone. I usually choose to buy ice cream, so if I get that, then I won’t bake cookies or buy any other sugary snacks for the house.
4. Buy small containers of ‘bad stuff’ – I’ve found that I eat much less if the container is small, because I don’t want to run out! When I buy a big container I just eat, and eat and eat! If you bake cookies, immediately freeze most of them so you aren’t tempted to over do it.
5. Make a plan – Figure out what your weak areas are so that you can prepare against them! If you are weak at the grocery store, give yourself a mental pep talk before going in! If you have trouble stopping for a fast food dessert on the way home from work, make phone calls in the car so that you can’t stop and order food. Create a realistic game-plan and stick with it!
When you are dealing with sugar or something else that you love, you can’t expect yourself to just magically change and not want it anymore. It’s a process, so it’s very helpful to find ways of outsmarting the cravings! These five things are working for me!
Are you trying to cut back on sugar or another type of food? What works for you?