Are you ready to start the potty training adventure with your little one?
Potty training is notoriously stressful for parents and child, but it does not have to be that way! I had a particularly strong willed child on my hands and I knew if I did one of the traditional methods, we would have an all-out war on our hands. So I decided not to potty train him. It ended up being the easiest and one of the least stressful parts of parenting my strong willed son thus far!
Don’t get me wrong, he uses the restroom correctly, but we left it in his control, and waited for him to be ready. For this “method” there are a few simple steps.
This post contains affiliate links.
1. Buy some underwear – Go to the store and let your child pick out their first package or two of underwear. Make it very exciting to get to choose which ones they want to have for their first pairs. Emphasize only the positives. No need to say anything against diapers or do anything drastic. Keep it all fun and exciting! (Amazon has some cute options too for boys and girls) Check out my post here for a full list of potty training essentials!
2. Have a talk – When you get home, open up the packs of underwear and talk to your little one. Let them know that the underwear is there for them whenever they want to wear it. The catch is that if they choose to wear it they must try on the potty first and remember to use the potty throughout the day. Some days the kid will be all about wearing underwear, while other days (or even weeks) the child might not show any interest. Leaving them in control is what makes this so easy! It’s on their timeline!
3. Accidents – Accidents are bound to happen in the house, and that’s fine. If a child was choosing to wear underwear that day we usually kept pants off for easier running to the bathroom, but there will still be accidents for a few days at least. Our rule was the kiddo must wear diapers when going out in public until they had gone a full week with no accidents at home. This gives them something to work towards, as a practical incentive to stop having accidents!
4. Follow Their Lead – Instead of stressing about training them immediately, let them go at their own pace. This will make things so much easier on you, and it will help them not be worried about it either! Being stressed about using the potty only causes more accidents, so letting them take control can help you avoid a lot of stress!
I had been concerned about potty training my strong willed son for a long time, and using this method it ended up being easy and stress free. Two things that are almost never associated with potty training!
Like everything else parenting related, this won’t work for every family, but it worked wonders for ours, and just might be worth a shot!
Latest posts by Paula (see all)
- How to make learning fun this Summer for kids of ALL ages! - May 21, 2018
- How to be ready for baby’s first flight - May 17, 2018
- How to save money at Disneyland - May 15, 2018
- What taking out the trash taught me about being a strong mom - May 10, 2018
- The never have I ever game for parents and toddlers (meme) - May 10, 2018