Sometimes, it seems impossible to save any more money! Maybe you are cutting every corner possible, or perhaps you just really like the lifestyle that your family currently enjoys and you don’t want to make many changes! In a lot of ways, saving money is all in your head. Figuring out ways to make your money work harder for you can be a challenge, but it’s very rewarding if you are able to make it work, which is why I want to share 4 ways you can save more money without changing your lifestyle!
1. The $5 Trick – Every time you go shopping and pay with your debit card, ask for $5-$10 cash back. Put the money in a small box at home and deposit it to your savings account at the bank each time it reaches $50 or more. This small amount each shopping trip won’t affect your spending much, but having it out of your checking account, will keep you from spending it, when it could have easily gone into savings.
2. Resist & Deposit – Each time you are shopping and decide not to purchase a special new top, or those cute shoes from the clearance rack, keep the resisted item’s price in mind, and transfer that amount to savings as soon as you get home. If you would have been able to find a way to make your budget work when making the extra purchase, you can just as easily make the budget happen by transferring the same amount to into your savings account. This is also a great thing to keep in mind while shopping, “would I rather have these shoes, or an extra twenty dollars in my savings account?”
3. Renew & Save – When renewing your insurance plans, check to see if they offer discounts if you pay the entire yearly amount up front. Many companies offer steep discounts if you pay upfront. If you choose this method, you can save a little extra by making monthly “payments” into your savings account that are equivalent to the amount you would have been paying in insurance every month. Since you already have your budget set up to cover insurance costs, this can be an easy way to save a few hundred dollars each year!
4. Delete – You know those wonderful promotion emails you get from your favorite stores and online shops? If you were not already planning to buy something from their store in the next month, delete the email immediately. It’s easy to convince yourself you need something when you see a “SALE” tag on it, but if you weren’t already planning on it, chances are you don’t really need it. I’ve gotten in the habit of immediate deleting these tempting emails, and it truly helps me resist extra purchases which means we save more money!
Or this one, 10 fresh ideas to help you pinch your pennies!
You can also read how our family survives (thrives) on one income!
Do you have any money saving tips? Which of these are your favorite?
Or you can check out my most popular money saving post!
Latest posts by Paula (see all)
- Ridiculous rules you have to make as a parent - September 26, 2016
- Cutest baby costumes. Ever. - September 24, 2016
- Never say never: Screen Time Confessions of an Imperfect Mother - September 23, 2016
- Costume ideas for underachievers - September 23, 2016
- Do you know what’s in your baby’s food? Now you can! - September 22, 2016