Today, I want to share my top 10 blogging tips with all of you. These are things that I’ve learned in my years of blogging both on this site and other sites. I’m still learning, but these are a few things that might help you get started, or improve what you are already have going.
1. Post often, but not daily – For some blogs it works to post daily, but I don’t think it is a neccesity. Honestly, even if it is a blog I love, if they are posting every day, I don’t read all the posts. I would personally rather see 2-4 quality posts a week than smaller posts everyday. It takes a lot of pressure off of you to be creating that much fresh content and it will give you time to edit and be sure every post you are publishing is the best it can be!
2. Own your own domain – Purchasing your domain name shows commitment to your site. It shows that you are serious enough about blogging to invest some money into it, and you are going to stick around for awhile!
3. Re-name your pictures – Did you know that you can use your photo names to your advantage? Instead of uploading an image called something like 1234.jpg Rename the file before you upload it and give it a name including keywords relating to your post. This will help people to find your site when they are using Google to search for those keywords!
4. Link Parties – This is a great way to get more pageviews and connect with new people in your niche! I participate in various link parties every week and I’ve met a lot of great bloggers this way! You can find a list of all the sites I link-up to by clicking the Link Parties option in the menu at the top of this blog.
5. Guest posting / post swapping – This is another great way to connect with other bloggers and find new followers! Doing a guest post for some one in your niche brings new views to the host blog and to yours as well! It’s also a fun idea to swap posts with another blog, they will do a post for you, while you do one for them! PS I’m always looking for guest bloggers to connect with! check out my contact page and email me if you are interested!
6. Build Relationships – Readers want to know that you care about them. Don’t just post a monologue about your day and ignore the viewers, find creative ways to engage with them! Consider posting a question at the end of your post to show that you welcome their input and want to carry on the conversation in the comment section. I love hearing from my readers, and interacting with them! I’m also much more likely to follow a blog if I can tell that the author truly cares about her readers and doesn’t just want them to listen to her. This comes through in writing style just as much as it does in responses to comments. There are several bigger blogs that I can think of that truly care about their readers and finding ways to engage with them, even when they are unable to respond to every comment for lack of time.
7. Social Media – Blogging is done on social media almost as much as it is on wordpress/blogger. Create a facebook fanpage for your blog and a twitter account. Use these pages to really get to know your readers, and allow them to get to know you. I post things on my accounts that I could never write a full post about. It makes your blog more personal, and it’s an easy way for followers to keep up with new posts! It’s also a great tool to keep you ‘grounded’ and help you stay focused on the people you are writing for instead of the stats.
8. Have pin-able images on every post – This is still a huge struggle for me, and something that I’m working on, but I already know how important it is. I have gotten huge amounts of traffic from pinterest lately as I’ve started working on making my posts more pin-able! Some days I get more traffic from pinterest than from any other single site! Learn how to use pinterest to your advantage! It takes some extra work and effort, but it’s definitely worth it! Like I said, this is something that I am still working on, but I can already see the value in it, even though I’m not where I should be yet!
9. Carry a Notebook – This has helped my blogging so much! I purchased a small 4×6 notebook and it goes every where with me. I use it to jot down ideas as they come to me, or even to write out entire posts when I’m waiting somewhere and I don’t have my laptop on me. This has helped me to become more organized and to remember all the ideas I come up with so that I’m able to post more frequently!
10. Have time set aside for writing – This is helpful for two reasons. It ensures that you take the time to write and blog like you want to, and it also keeps you accountable so you are not spending all your time blogging when you should be doing other things. I have struggled with keeping a good balance between blogging and “real life”, but having a loose schedule in place helps keep everything in perspective and makes sure my priorities are straight!
Bonus Tip! – If you are thinking to yourself “But I do all these things, and I’m still going nowhere!!!” or if you are just in a rut and need some more personalized pointers consider hiring a blog coach! My friend Kathryn just started a blog coaching business and she is incredible! She just did a week long evaluation of my blog and gave me lots of fantastic tips (My Review of the Blog Coaching Experience). My blog is going to improve so much just by implementing her ideas and help! Her program is extremely affordable, even for penny pinchers like me!!!
What are your top blogging tips? Are any of these ideas new to you? You can find more blogging tutorials and tricks by checking out my blogging tips pinterst board!
Latest posts by Paula (see all)
- How to “be the village” to a newly diagnosed SPD family - April 22, 2019
- Peeps Playdough - April 11, 2019
- Toddler Acting Out After New Baby Comes Home - April 10, 2019
- Easiest Monthly Meal Plan - April 1, 2019
- 10 Labor Inducing Techniques That Don’t Work - March 29, 2019